July 27, 2020
Pioneering Children's Program Sesame Street Picks Up 10 Emmys, with NEW Show Ghostwriter Winning 1
(July 27, 2020 – New York, N.Y.) – Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street and decades of award-winning children’s programming, garnered 11 Emmys during the 47th Daytime Emmy Awards.
“This year’s Emmys are especially meaningful to us,” said Steve Youngwood, President of Media & Education and Chief Operating Officer of Sesame Workshop. “With Ghostwriter winning Outstanding Children’s or Family Viewing Program and Sesame Street once again named Outstanding Preschool Children’s Series, these awards are a testament to the breadth of our content and the power of reaching new audiences on diverse platforms. We appreciate the support of our partners at PBS, HBO Max, and Apple TV+ as we work together to help kids grow smarter, stronger, and kinder.”
Pioneering children’s show Sesame Street (HBO Max, PBS) won 10 Emmys for:
- Outstanding Special Class Special – Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Outstanding Writing for a Special Class Special– Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Outstanding Technical Team – Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Outstanding Multiple Camera Editing – Sesame Street's 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Outstanding Special Effects Costume, Makeup and Hairstyling – Sesame Street (tied with Dino Dana)
- Outstanding Main Title and Graphic Design for a Live Action Program – Sesame Street 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Outstanding Principal Performance in a Daytime Program – Ryan Dillon/Sesame Street 50th Anniversary Celebration
- Outstanding Short Format, Children’s Program – Sesame Street in Communities: Meet Salia
- Outstanding Directing for a Children’s Program – Sesame Street
- Outstanding Preschool Children’s Series – Sesame Street
The rebooted children’s series Ghostwriter (Apple TV+) – a modern take on the original 90s program from Sesame Workshop, with a curricular focus on new and classic literature – led all children’s programming with nine nominations, ultimately winning one in the Outstanding Children’s or Family Viewing Program category.
About Sesame Workshop
Sesame Workshop is the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street, the pioneering television show that has been reaching and teaching children since 1969. Today, Sesame Workshop is an innovative force for change, with a mission to help kids everywhere grow smarter, stronger, and kinder. We’re present in more than 150 countries, serving vulnerable children through a wide range of media, formal education, and philanthropically funded social impact programs, each grounded in rigorous research and tailored to the needs and cultures of the communities we serve. For more information, please visit www.sesameworkshop.org.