NYS Office of Mental Health
Mission, Vision & Values
The mission of the New York State Office of Mental Health is to promote the mental health of all New Yorkers with a particular focus on providing hope and recovery for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances.
The New York State Office of Mental Health envisions a future when everyone with a mental illness will recover, when all mental illnesses can be prevented or cured, when everyone with a mental illness at any stage of life has access to effective treatment and supports.essential for living,working, learning, and participating fully in the community.
- Recovery is the process of gaining control over one's life in the context of the personal, social and economic losses that may result from the experience of psychiatric disability. It is a continuing, non-linear, highly individual process that is based on hope and leads to healing and growth.
- Hope is the belief that one has both the ability and the opportunity to engage in the recovery process.
- Excellence is the state of possessing superior merit in the design, delivery and evaluation of mental health services.
- Respect is esteem for the worth of a person including recognition of dignity, diversity and cultural differences.
- Safety is an environment free from hurt, injury or danger.
- Accountability for Results, whereby a clearly defined entity or individual is responsible for the effectiveness of services delivered. Services are designed and delivered to achieve specific outcomes, which are measured by performance indicators.
- Best Practices, whereby service design and delivery are based on the best research and evidence available and best practice guidelines are incorporated into treatment practices.Adherence to these guidelines is measured as part of the accountability process.
- Coordination of Care, whereby coordinated,comprehensive networks of providers deliver a balanced array of medical, self-help, social, supportive and rehabilitative services and programs.These services are focused on rehabilitation and recovery, and individualized service plans are designed around the needs and desires of the individual.
- Disparities Elimination and Cultural Competence, whereby all service components are held accountable to address disparities in access to and participation in services,differences are managed skillfully, cultural knowledge is absorbed organizationally, language assistance services are provided routinely, and service modifications are made to take into account the diversity of individuals, families and communities.
- Regulation, Certification, and Oversight of New York's Public Mental Health System
- Direct Provision of State-operated Inpatient and Outpatient Mental Health Services
- Mental Health Research to Advance Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery
- Promotion ofMental Health through Public Education