PNC and sesame street
Partnership in Brief
- Launched in 2004
- Part of PNC's $350 million Grow Up Great initiative
- Distributed nearly two million outreach kits to children
- School-readiness initiative focuses on science, math, the arts, and financial education
- Includes sponsorship of community outreach initiatives and broadcast and digital platforms
PNC and Sesame Street: Investing in the greater good, starting with the very youngest.
Over its 150-year history as a community-focused bank, PNC has nurtured an ethos where social responsibility is an integral part of its culture. The company is a recognized leader among financial institutions in corporate citizenship, from directing millions of dollars in grants to community and economic development to giving employees paid time off to volunteer in their communities.
Through its philanthropy, PNC demonstrates a passionate belief in early childhood education. The bank views early education and school readiness initiatives as an enduring investment in children, society and the health of our economy for generations to come.
Why Sesame Street?
In its worthy pursuit of the greater good, PNC found an ideal partner in Sesame Street, an obvious choice given the bank’s focus on early education. Throughout our 8-year collaboration, Sesame Workshop has worked with PNC to identify critical educational needs and help turn their philanthropic vision into action.
PNC and Sesame Workshop are united in a mission to make real, long-term improvements in the lives of children, families and communities. This shared mission has made for a powerful partnership, sustained across many years and numerous programs, including several award-winning outreach efforts.
Grow Up Great, PNC’s early childhood education program, is a $350 million, multi-year initiative that began in 2004 to help prepare children from birth to age 5 for success in school and life.Considered one of the most comprehensive corporate programs of its kind, Grow Up Great includes a spectrum of school readiness initiatives that reach kids wherever they learn and emphasizes math, science, the arts and financial education. Like Happy, Healthy, Ready for School, a Muppet-centered multi-media kit for homes and preschools that helps children prepare for school intellectually, emotionally and physically. Or the mobile planetarium show, One World, One Sky, a dazzling scientific journey through the night sky led by Big Bird.
Our newest joint effort is For Me, for You, for Later: First Steps to Spending, Sharing, and Saving. Delivered free in PNC’s communities and accessible to all online (visit the site), the program puts 3- to 5-year-olds on the path to good financial habits. With help from Elmo and friends, the bilingual activity kits teach kids everything has value and show parents how to turn everyday moments into learning experiences. Launched in April 2011, For Me, for You, for Later is a milestone in family financial education that’s working to create a new generation of money-savvy kids.
- By 2012 more than 2 million outreach kits were distributed as a result of the program..
- The One World, One Sky mobile planetarium show has been seen by almost 45,000 kids at around 300 locations.
- PNC’s and Sesame Workshop’s collaboration was recognized by the White House in 2009 for encouraging children to excel in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).
- Since its inception, PNC’s Grow Up Great program has achieved widespread awareness with nearly three billion media impressions